Description: Since 2005, WHRO has developed online secondary student courses that are aligned with the Virginia Standards of Learning. These courses are modular, instructor-facilitated, textbook-independent, and media-rich. WHRO is creating an Environmental Science online course to meet current Virginia Department of Education Environmental Science Course Content and Process Guidelines and Science Standards of Learning. We are seeking content experts to serve as members of our Content Area Review Team (CART) starting in August 2021 and ending in February 2022.
After the content creation portion of the course, CART members work collaboratively to evaluate each module of learning for content, quality, and alignment to standards. Once a module is reviewed through an online tracking system, the CART members participate in follow-up conference calls to discuss any needed changes, along with course content developers and the Curriculum Manager.
Required Education and Teaching Experience: A qualified candidate must:
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree;
- Have a minimum of 2 years teaching experience and/or curriculum supervisory experience in Environmental Science or a related subject area at the secondary level;
- Hold a current Virginia teaching license endorsed in Earth Science or Biology.
Required Qualifications: In addition to the education and teaching experience stated above, a qualified candidate must demonstrate:
- Thorough knowledge of the content and associated course guidelines;
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills and the ability to communicate ideas and information effectively, clearly, and concisely;
- Previous experience with developing learning objectives and instructional activities that support a variety of learning styles;
- The ability to review content and assessment items for rigor and correlation to middle and higher levels of Bloom’s Taxonomy;
- A thorough understanding of the 5 C's in the Profile of a Virginia Graduate (critical thinking, creative thinking, collaboration, communication, and citizenship);
- Experience with curriculum design principles and practices;
- Exemplary time management, communication, interpersonal, verbal, listening, problem-solving, decision-making, organizational, and troubleshooting skills;
- The ability to work in a collaborative environment and provide constructive feedback; and
- The ability to use email, video conferencing software, word processing software, and online forms.
- Prior experience with online learning and/or online course development
- Online teaching experience and/or online teaching facilitator training
- Attendance at a Virginia Department of Education Standards of Learning Institute (if applicable)
Primary Responsibilities: The online course content area reviewer will:
- Review and refine course scope and sequence;
- Assure that the content is aligned to the Virginia Department of Education Environmental Science Course Content and Process Guidelines and other national standards (when applicable);
- Review all content components related to a course to validate correctness;
- Provide recommendations related to course content, course alignment, course components, and content appropriateness;
- Ensure content is appropriate and written for the targeted audience, including clear direction and guidance;
- Review and evaluate course modules as developed and submit feedback using the online review system;
- Help to resolve curriculum issues that are identified during the review;
- Participate in follow-up conference calls to discuss CART review/recommendations (as needed);
- Adhere to project timelines; and
- Complete a final course review.