Description: Since 2005, WHRO has developed online secondary student courses that are aligned with the Virginia Standards of Learning. These courses are modular, instructor-facilitated, textbook-independent, and media-rich. We are creating an Environmental Science online course for state-wide distribution and are seeking content experts to serve as members of our Content Area Review Team (CART) for approximately five months starting in March of 2022.
After the content is written by content subject matter experts, CART members work collaboratively to evaluate each module of learning for content, quality, and alignment to the Virginia Department of Education’s (VDOE) Environmental Science Course Content and Process Guidelines. Once the comments are collected for each module, WHRO will meet with CART members if follow-up is needed.
Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 3 years teaching experience and/or curriculum supervisory experience in Environmental Science, Earth Science, or Biology. An applicant must hold a current Virginia teaching license endorsed in one or more of these subject areas.
Additionally, a qualified candidate must demonstrate:
- Experience teaching Environmental Science to secondary students;
- Thorough knowledge of content and associated course guidelines for Environmental Science;
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills and ability to communicate ideas and information effectively, clearly, and concisely;
- Previous experience with developing learning objectives and instructional activities that support a variety of learning styles;
- The ability to review content and assessment items for rigor and correlation to middle and higher levels of Bloom’s Taxonomy;
- Experience with curriculum design principles and practices;
- Exemplary time management, communication, interpersonal, verbal, listening, problem-solving, decision-making, organizational, and troubleshooting skills;
- The ability to work in a collaborative environment; and
- The ability to use a word processor.
Please note that chosen candidates must attend two online training sessions before reviewing online content. The training dates and times will be determined once team members are selected.
- Prior experience with online learning and/or online course development
- Online teaching experience and/or online teaching facilitator training
- Attendance at a Virginia Department of Education Standards of Learning Institute (if applicable)
Primary Responsibilities: The online course content area reviewer will:
- Review and refine scope and sequence for online delivery;
- Assure that the content is aligned to the VDOE’s Environmental Science Course Content and Process Guidelines and other national standards (when applicable);
- Review all content components related to a course to validate correctness;
- Provide recommendations related to course content, course alignment, course components, and content appropriateness;
- Ensure content is appropriate and written for the audience of focus, including clear direction and guidance;
- Submit feedback using the online review system;
- Help to resolve curriculum issues that are identified during review;
- Participate in follow-up conference calls to discuss CART review/recommendations (as needed);
- Adhere to project timelines; and
- Complete a final course review.
WHRO is an Equal Opportunity Employer. WHRO does not discriminate against employees or applicants on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, citizenship status, disability, medical condition, genetic predisposition or carrier status, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or any other characteristic protected by applicable local, state or federal law.