Working at WHRO Public Media is more than just a job — it’s a mission of public service to a vibrant community that is home to more than 1.8 million people.
The work we do provides:
- Literacy programs and early childhood resources for at-risk communities.
- K-12 educational services to local children, parents, and educators.
- Initiatives that honor and support veterans in our local community.
- Classical music, fine arts performances, and support of local artists.
- Thorough reporting and analysis of local and national news.
WHRO employees come to work each day knowing they are making a difference in their community.
Where We Work
WHRO Public Media is the largest local media company in Norfolk, VA with four TV stations and five radio channels. Since 1961, we have been at the pulse of pop culture, technology, current events and most importantly, education. Owned by a collaboration of 21 school divisions, WHRO Public Media offers employment opportunities in a variety of disciplines including communications, education, creative services, programming, interactive services, information technology, development, engineering, accounting and many other areas.
WHRO was also voted as one of the “Top Places to Work” in Hampton Roads in 2020 and 2021 by Inside Business.
Where We Live
Hampton Roads is comprised of seven diverse and magnificent cities. From its rich history as the birthplace of Colonial America to its thriving maritime industry and robust military community, the region consistently ranks among America’s best places to live.
- Virginia Beach (#9) and Norfolk (#50) ranked in the top 100 cities for renters in 2022. (Forbes.com)
- Virginia Beach ranked in the top 150 places to live in the United States. (USnews.com)
- Virginia ranked in the top 10 safest states in America. (USnews.com)
Where We Play
Our region offers something for everyone. City life or sandy beaches. Great history or the great outdoors. In Hampton Roads, beautiful waterfront landscapes merge with fascinating history and a thriving local arts scene. Enjoy water sports or nature trails, theme parks, museums, world-class arts performances and top-rated cuisines — all within a short drive.
- Chrysler Museum of Art
- The Virginia Symphony
- Hampton Roads Naval Museum
- Nauticus & Battleship
- Norfolk’s NEON Art District
- Virginia Beach Oceanfront & Vibe Art District
- Virginia Museum of Contemporary Art
- Oceanbreeze Water Park
- Busch Gardens & Water Country USA
- Colonial Williamsburg
- The Living Museum
- Back Bay National Wildlife Refuge
- Great Dismal Swamp National Wildlife Refuge
- Concerts at The NorVa, Virginia Beach Amphitheater, Hampton Coliseum, Chrysler Hall or the Harrison Opera House
- Several local theaters that present community plays throughout the year.
Most positions are in Norfolk, Virginia unless otherwise noted.
Current job openings:
To apply for this position, fill out the application in our Career Portal
Current contract openings:
- There are no open positions at this time.
WHRO is an Equal Opportunity Employer. WHRO does not discriminate against employees or applicants on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, citizenship status, disability, medical condition, genetic predisposition or carrier status, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or any other characteristic protected by applicable local, state or federal law.
Certain federal and state laws require that job applicants be able to view posters or notices describing specific laws that affect employers. These include the Virginia OSHA Job Safety and Health poster, the Federal Equal Employment Opportunity poster, the federal Family and Medical Leave Act poster and the federal Polygraph Protection Act Notice poster. Although people viewing this section of whro.org may not be job applicants, this is the most readily available location to ensure this information is available to potential job applicants.