Applicants interested in applying for any of the below positions, must submit a resume, cover letter, salary requirements and required sample materials, etc. to:
Attn: Sherby Wilks, Human Resources Officer
5200 Hampton Blvd
Norfolk, VA 23508
WHRO is an Equal Opportunity Employer
SENIOR WEB DEVELOPER
WHRO Public Media is expanding its Online Media department by adding a Senior PHP Developer to the team. He or she will participate in the entire life cycle of high complexity projects including, but not limited to research and analysis, design, development, testing, implementation, training, and documentation. He or she is ready to adapt and extend the architectural plan as new product goals and technical challenges emerge in our agile, continuous development environment with an emphasis on architecture within Cloud.
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 5 years of experience developing custom PHP solutions, maintaining existing PHP code and optimizing MySQL queries, passion for best design and coding practices and a desire to develop new bold ideas.
- Deliver consumer-facing web applications at large scale in a senior Web developer or architecture role
- Manage Git repositories and methodologies
- Document, maintain and contribute to project stories in project management system
- Customize eCommerce platforms for custom functionality and integrations with 3rd party software
- Support hardware/software configurations and management
- Create, test, and maintain shell scripts for process automation
- Provide hands-on technical support for the Configuration and Build of Test and Production environments
- Collaborate on project plans, business and technical requirements to develop and implement cloud services
- Analyze client needs, develop and implement customized solution
Skills and Requirements:
- Bachelor degree in computer science, or an analytical discipline, or equivalent experience.
- Development of software architecture strategy and documentation
- Experience with cloud based and virtual servers and applications
- Demonstrable mastery of both object-oriented and procedural PHP
- Proven track record of delivering well-structured, functional software
- Experience in common third-party APIs (Google, Facebook, Amazon)
- Experience in agile development environment and flexible in adapting to rapidly changing requirements
- Ability to work independently but also able to communicate cross-functionally to seek out information when required.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, as well as excellent technical, analytical, debugging and problem-solving skills.
Nice to have:
- Experience with open source content and learning management systems such as Joomla, Drupal, WordPress, Moodle, etc
- Mobile application development
- UX design experience
- Experience building and testing live video streaming to multiple devices
- Experience with live video and audio streaming (rtmp, mpeg-ts, HLS)
- Linux systems administration experience
8+ years of software development experience, minimum of 5 years in PHP environment.
10+ years of related professional experience.
Reports To: Online Media Officer
GRAPHIC AND PRODUCTION ARTIST
Reports to: Marketing Officer
Graphic and Production Artist to design stunning visuals for both print and digital media working closely with marketing director, creative director, copywriters, and web developers, to translate marketing and brand strategies into comps that render beautifully in print and code. The work demands creative flair, up-to-date knowledge of industry software and a professional approach to time, costs and deadlines.
Responsible for design and creation of layouts for print, web media, e-newsletters and television to meet communication and promotional needs of marketing, development, public relations and online media of WHRO. Must possess expert understanding of multi-media design, and experience building files for both print and digital, have aesthetic design talent, and advanced level skill in the latest Adobe Creative Suite and Macintosh desktop publishing programs, and ability to work quickly developing multiple projects.
Demonstrated experience working with production teams and printers with creative samples of work for review required.
- Develop and execute creative conceptual design into production-ready art in response to strategic direction working within budget and time constraints.
- Projects will include print and online news magazine, e-newsletter, push pages, one sheets, visual aids, job fair and trade show exhibits and displays, banners/signage, brochures, power point presentations, among others.
- Conscientious use and monitoring of use by others of WHRO visual “brand” to assure consistency and integrity.
- Creative thinking to produce new and original ideas and concepts.
- Coordinates graphic artwork preparation with local printers to ensure technical job quality and delivery by deadline and within budget.
- Multi-platform skills to create, maintain, and integrate websites and applications with ability to troubleshoot web design issues.
- DSL photography at events or to meet special creative design needs, and photo editing skills.
- Proofreading to produce accurate and high-quality work, as well as copy writing and editing as needed to meet deadlines.
- Ability to write headlines and sub-heads to fit design layout and meet deadlines.
- Maintains technical knowledge by attending design workshops; reviewing professional publications; participating in professional societies.
Bachelor of Arts degree in art, design or related field of study, or equivalent experience, with 3+ years of graphic design experience which can include college or professional training.
- Proficient with use of Apple Macintosh computer, Quark and/or InDesign, Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.); expertise in MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) required.
- Ability to translate written and/or verbal communications into graphics.
- Experience designing logos and graphics that will be used across print, web, and within ATSC broadcast Television specifications.
- Use computer software to format and combine text, numerical data, photographs, charts and other visual graphic elements to produce publication-ready material.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to effectively work with clients at all levels within the organization.
- Exceptional attention to detail and standard of excellence.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Ability to think strategically to produce effective materials and to lead projects from the graphic development perspective.
- Motion graphics experience, specifically animations and compositing for Television, a plus.
- Experience with Adobe After Effects a plus.
The WHRO Education Department is looking for an Instructional Designer to work with our online course/module projects. This is a grant-funded position; the position will be funded through the period of the grant.
Reports to: E-Learning Manager
Position Description: The Instructional Designer (ID) is responsible for planning, designing, and developing interactive web applications and technologies for online courses, modules, and eBooks developed by the WHRO Education Online Courses department. Through a research-based approach, the ID will translate content provided by subject-matter experts into high-quality online curriculum. Using web authoring, graphics, and interactivity development software, the ID will create webpages and learning objects to meet a variety of learning styles.
Education: Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of two years of experience in the Information and/or Educational Technology field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Convert text-based content into interactive and engaging online content based on the WHRO Education Online Course (WEOC) Handbook
- Adhere to project timelines and due dates
- Attend WEOC department meetings, monthly Content Development Team (CDTM) Meetings, and Project Manager (PM) meetings
- Report to the office at least one day a week, schedule to be established with PM
- Ensure that development criteria and instructional design standards are met and implemented
- Read all materials created by the CDTM and ensure that content is free from spelling and grammar errors
- Follow the technical guidelines identified by the PM and the WEOC Handbook
- Follow copyright laws and guidelines and assist CDTM with gaining permissions through PM
- Work with the content developers to identify where interactive activities are appropriate
- Vary the learning object usage through creative uses of the provided software and resources
- Create graphically appealing materials that compliment course template color schemes
- Implement all approved revisions
- Assist PM with developing the course master copy in the learning management system
- Monitor the timeline and module development for each project
- Maintain open communication with the PM regarding unresolved issues and ongoing progress
- Ensure that 508 and copyright requirements are met and implemented in all projects
- Ensure that course content aligns to and meets all standards
- Finalize and produce audio scripts for learning objects
- Ensure online courses/modules meet standards of quality
- Establish universal design for instruction throughout course (vary learning style methods)
- Meet professional obligations through efficient work habits such as meeting deadlines, honoring schedules, coordinating resources and meetings in an effective and timely manner, and demonstrating respect for others
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned by his/her supervisor
- Advanced skills in web and graphic design and the ability to master off-the-shelf e-learning software packages (e.g. Articulate®, Raptivity®, Adobe® Captivate®, TechSmith® Camtasia®, etc.)
- Advanced HTML and photo editing software experience
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and handle diverse tasks simultaneously using prioritization and delegation
- Demonstrated ability to work and collaborate with others
- Ability to use correct spelling and grammar in written text
- Demonstrated ability to follow directions
- Attend meetings as assigned in the WHRO Norfolk or Williamsburg offices
- Knowledge of web development standards such as 508 compliance, W3C and WCAG, and SCORM
- Applied knowledge of training best practices and instructional design principles
- Knowledge of course management systems
- Knowledge of eBook design
- Knowledge of workforce readiness skills
- Knowledge of adult education pedagogy
Job Location: Norfolk, Virginia area
RADIO FUNDRAISING PRODUCER (PART-TIME)
Reports To: Director of Broadcast & Digital Media
The Fundraising Producer is responsible for producing the audio content for all of the on-air fundraising efforts on WHRV 89.5 & WHRO 90.3 FM. This includes planning and managing a minimum of three pledge drives per year, recruiting and recording testimonials and conducting planning meetings with content and development staff leading up to each pledge drive. Producer will occasionally back up television producer during our TV fundraisers.
Duties will include suggesting, identifying and implementing themes, premiums and goals, and creating talking points and direction for talent. Responsible for organizing messaging for the hosts and producers, including scheduling talent.
Must demonstrate an ability to passionately articulate the case for supporting public radio. Must possess coaching skills in directing hosts in pre-produced and live settings, and knowledge of broadcast operations, editing software (ProTools and Cool Edit Pro a plus) and field recording technologies. Requires national quality writing, interviewing and audio editing abilities. Excellent time-management, prioritizing and scheduling skills. Non-standard working hours are guaranteed.
Two year degree in associated field or equivalent in training and experience in the industry; or four years’ experience in a related field. Ability to work well with people and maintain professional demeanor under pressure. Occasional irregular and/or long hours dependent upon workload. Must demonstrate an ability to passionately articulate the case for supporting public radio. Must possess coaching/directing skills in directing hosts in pre-produced and live settings. Knowledge of broadcast operations. Audio software knowledge (Cool Edit a plus). Requires quality writing, interviewing and audio editing abilities. Outgoing personality. Excellent time-management, prioritizing and scheduling skills and ability to work well with staff and other departments of the corporation. Ability to work in a deadline-oriented environment and manage multiple, simultaneous projects. Ability to work independently.
Applicants interested in applying for any of the above positions must submit a resume, cover letter, salary requirements and required sample materials, etc. to:
Attn: Sherby Wilks, Human Resources Officer
5200 Hampton Blvd
Norfolk, VA 23508
WHRO is an Equal Opportunity Employer