This role reports to the Marketing Officer to plan, manage and execute a variety of internal and external communications projects. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: project team leadership, communication planning, content development and execution, messaging, media relations including mainstream and social media, issues response and management, program and project management, measurement reporting, and sentiment and trend analysis.
Communications Counsel and Media Relations
- Provides strategic communications counsel for account assignments including planning, positioning, messaging and strategic initiatives.
- Helps lead team members in developing, drafting and measuring compelling communications campaigns.
- Develops and fosters relationships with key media important to our business and key to reaching key stakeholders for the company.
Develop and execute innovative and compelling communications strategies that tie to and support the company’s strategic mission and business priorities:
- Leads project teams and/or independently develops communications plans and content, including but not limited to:
- Press releases
- Fact sheets, talking point and knowledge management documents
- Online content
- Social media content/posts
- Media pitches
- Responses to media as needed
- Internal news articles for the corporate intranet and other news channels,
- Functional or departmental communications
- Executive speech writing and key note/speaker presentations
- Vendor Management –Manages outside supplier relationships, including functioning as the day-to-day liaison between the company and suppliers.
- Estimates and manages expenses and ensures projects are delivered on time and on budget
Applies insight from analysis and measurement for continuous improvement of communications practices
- Provides thought leadership on measurement and benchmark communication trends
- Analyzes media, news, sentiment (public and internal) and trends to anticipate needs
and provide counsel
- Delivers measurement reporting and analysis
Minimum knowledge, skills and abilities required to successfully perform major duties/responsibilities:
- Strong verbal, written and presentation skills; demonstrated ability to write for broad and diverse audiences and in digital formats
- Experience in communicating authentically, concisely and convincingly in diverse organizations; ability to translate broad and complex ideas and concepts to clear and compelling communications
- Ability to multi-task, handling volumes of information and working under strict timelines
- Acts with conviction, seeks new ideas, and suggests alternatives
- Attention to details, resourceful, responsible and strong work ethic
- Excellent team collaboration, influence, negotiation and inter-personal skills
- Makes linkages - internal and external, global and local, company and brand, risk and opportunity – to create plans and executions that drive our company purpose and business strategy in ways that are meaningful to our stakeholders.
- Strong analytical skills as well as the ability to think creatively/conceptually, and effectively interact with individuals at all levels within the company
- A team player with a can-do attitude with ability to work independently
- Strong project management skills
- Business acumen with clear ability to incorporate learnings in to practice
Desired Skills and Experience
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
Education: Bachelor’s Degree preferred in communications, journalism, marketing, public policy, social sciences or other associated major.
Experience: Minimum 3-5 years of work experience in communications
Reports To: Marketing Officer
WHRO seeks a highly experienced and well-qualified individual for the position of Data Architect
At minimum, the ideal candidate will possess 6-10 years of experience as a Data Architect, DBA or an equivalent high level data administration position; and possess a degree in computer science or hold professional certification in one or more areas of RDBMS design and implementation such as Oracle, DBMS’ Postgres, IIS, MySQL, NoSQL, Informix and others. Candidates should also have prior experience with the following applications and CRMs: SalesForce; Microsoft Dynamics; Team Approach; and Pro Track. A basic understanding of PCI compliance and data security policies and requirements is also necessary. Knowledge of Learning Management systems and course development software is also highly desirable.
Additionally candidates should possess the following skills and orientation:
- Foundation in systems development: the data architect should understand the system development life cycle; software project management approaches; and requirements, design, and test techniques. The data architect is expected to conceptualize and influence application and interface projects, and therefore must understand what advice to give and to whom in order to help steer desirable outcomes.
- Depth in data modeling and database design: The effective data architect will be comfortable across all phases of data modeling, from conceptualization to database optimization, including SQL development and database administration.
- Ability to conceive and portray the big data picture: The data architect maps systems and interfaces used to manage data, sets standards for data management, analyzes current state and conceives desired future state, and conceives projects needed to close the gap between current state and future goals. When the data architect initiates, evaluates, and influences projects he or she does so from the perspective of the entire organization.
- Breadth in established and emerging data technologies: In addition to depth in established data management and reporting technologies, the ideal data architect is experienced or at least conversant with emerging tools like columnar and NoSQL databases, predictive analytics, data visualization, and unstructured data.
- Ability to astutely operate within the organizational culture: The ideal candidate displays objectivity, an analytical problem-solving approach, sensitivity to end-user capacities and capabilities and a collaborative working style: He or she is:
- Well respected and influential
- Able to emphasize methodology, modeling, and governance
- Technologically and politically neutral
- Articulate, persuasive, and a good salesperson
Reports To: Chief Operating Officer
Applicants interested in applying for any position at WHRO must submit a resume, cover letter, salary requirements and required sample materials, etc. to:
Attn: Sherby Wilks, Human Resources Officer
5200 Hampton Blvd
Norfolk, VA 23508
WHRO is an Equal Opportunity Employer